Wednesday 28 March 2012

The Book Club, Shoreditch, East London, UK


As I sat down with my cracked but entertaining bright orange cup and saucer I realised I had been here before. It was a party, I wasn't drinking for some reason & I ate nachos. My friends wife was very drunk and was being hysterically funny and then I had to leave. Good times.


Well with that classic humdinger of a reminiscence over with lets get on with the review.



The Book Club is a great space and nicely decked out. The high ceilings, brick walls, large art pieces and open kitchen create a wonderfully large airy room. The mixed up furniture of various seating arrangements and dividing wall kept things intimate but still breezy. The ping pong table is just plain fun.




This seemed like a great omni functional cafe. One would be as comfortable with breakfast, a meeting or after work drinks here.




When the coffee came in the aforementioned funky cup I noted it has a solid aroma with a little hint at some sour notes across its olily sheen.



On tasting unfortunately I was immediately grabbed by fuzz at the back of my throat. First impressions were that it was a little too bitter for my tastes and a little too weak. There was flavour to be mined but it was masked with that layer of wateriness, perhaps from over espressed beans. 


As the drink continued, things improved and we got on better. The stand out elements were of the citrus that the aroma had hinted at and an overall pleasant dry quality. The finish sadly took on what the drink had started with, a muddy fuzz.




  • Black Americano
  • £2.00
  • Medium strength
  • Slightly sour and dry but fuzzy
  • Medium crema with a thickish rim
  • Medium size

A more than adequate but not really fine cup of coffee; greatly enhanced by a super atmosphere in the place.



Map
http://www.wearetbc.com/

@TheBookClubEC2

info@wearetbc.com
Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment